Program objective and description
Program Objective is to increase access to affordable high-speed internet throughout the whole Georgia.
The development of the fiber-optic backbone infrastructure will help private operators to build retail networks and to getting the internet to the end users. As a result, the population will have opportunity to access such programs and services as: e-Health, e-Education, e-Governance, e-Commerce and other modern-day services, in the settlements where such services didn’t exist before.
For the purpose of the development of free entrepreneurial activities, improvement of competition and attraction of private investments in the field of telecommunications, the program will provide the entire territory of Georgia with:
- Creation of unified neutral fiber-optic network
- Development of retail services in the targeted geographic areas
- Connection between any two access points along the course of the network
For the purpose of achieving mentioned goals, following will be done:
- Design and construction of broadband infrastructure and data transmission networks,
- To be connected to the access points owned by the operators, which, according to the Communications Commission, are connected to the operators' optical-fiber highways by a continuous optical-fiber connection and have the required number of optical channels for the implementation of the program;
- Planning / arranging access points and providing open access services to the transmission network to any provider in the target White Zone geographical area, under free, unrestricted and non-discriminatory conditions; for the purpose of the operators developing their own broadband infrastructure and with the help of their own networks, providing the end users with the broadband internet service access.